Propellants (black powder) and grenades were stored in the peacetime magazines, primarily on the island of Amager east of Copenhagen.
Only at the prospect of war it was transferred to the magazines of the Western Enceinte.
Some small powder magazines were built at the enceinte in 1888, but they were to small.
To avoid the risk of long transports of heavy and explosive ammunition, possibly during shelling, it was important that the ammunition was stored in the immediate vicinity of the guns.
Some larger peacetime magazines were constructed in 1904.